Thursday, January 28, 2010

I will tell you when I know.

Turns out, this semester my mind is TOO liberated because I forget to do things like go to work, go to scheduled lunch meetings, check what rooms my classes are in, and call people I said I would call to do planning. Whoops.

I'm currently drafting up bi-weekly reflections for meetings with my fellow learning community leaders, and I decided to start with what I know best-- quotations. So I spent an hour at work yesterday looking at different ideas about community, which led me to a quote that I put as my current status, which led me to look up the life of that particular person, which led me to a person for whom an award that person #1 received was named for, which led me to this:

"In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet."


So there you have it. Sometimes (read: all the time), we are so busy striving for ambition and progress and titles and accomplishment that we forget to look where we are standing and see the beautiful joys that exist without ever having to do anything that shakes the universe. And now I say this: "success" is something that we all have the ability to define for ourselves-- and consequently, then, for no one else. Is it important to invest in and hope for the betterment, growth and fulfillment of those around us in the world? Absolutely. Is it up to our standards that they must measure? Absolutely NOT.

The closer I get to graduation, the less I care about the answer to the question, "What will you be doing?" I know I will be very happy and very passionate, no matter where I find myself. And for me, that's more of a sense of success than any paycheck or door plaque could generate.

1 comment:

  1. molly dear - you make me smile.

    love this post 100 percent and had a similar moment yesterday where i recognized the small joys that surround us daily. you'll hear about it very shortly...

    in closing -
    "What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare?"

    ReplyDelete